The last time I posted, the plan was for me to go into Labor and Delivery on October 11 for a planned c-section. Well, plans change!! On Wednesday, October 6, I called my OB with HORRIBLE lower abdominal pains and they told me to come right in. My mom called off work, even though I insisted that I didn't need anyone to go with me. I was already in the exam room when she got there, but she just stayed and waited on me. I'd been complaining about these pains for a few weeks, but they always told me I was having round ligament pain. Doc finally got smart and did an ultrasound, not to see the baby, but to look at my uterus. Turns out, it was getting pretty thin and doc decided to move my c-section up... to that afternoon. When I got this news, I was glad Mom was with me. I was really scared and not emotionally ready yet, but I didn't really get a choice in the matter!! He was going to do my c-section during his lunch break at noon. Current time: 10:45am. He wouldn't even let me WALK to labor & delivery, he was afraid my uterus was going to rupture. On the ride over in my glamorous wheelchair, I called Eric. He was at work over an hour away and told him what was going on. He hung up the phone and ran from work... he made it home in just under an hour.
While in labor & delivery, they RUSHED to get me hooked up to the IVs and monitors because I was supposed to have surgery in about an hour. When they came in to do paperwork and found out that I had eaten a small bowl of cereal, they told me surgery would have to wait until 1pm, which was when Doc had to get backto the office. Which meant I had to wait until he was done at the office, at 4:30!! Once Eric got there, he found out that he didn't have to speed home, he left and got my overnight bag out of he car and went to get himself some lunch. Lucky. I was starving but wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything!!
I spent a lot of time on the phone with family and friends telling them the good news, that the baby was coming 5 days early!! I had to cancel lunch plans with Brittany and Alyssa, too. "We need to reschedule lunch. I'm having a baby," the text message said! Once 3:30 came around, I started getting really nervous and remembering all the scary bits of having a c-section. Eric kept telling me that I'd be fine and I'd done this before... but that didn't help! I was getting really scared. At 4:00pm, transport came to get me, and I felt like I needed to stall a little bit. I was still just not quite ready. I told them I had to pee, and I took my time in the bathroom. When I couldn't stall anymore, I got on the bed and they took me away... while Eric got all dressed in his full-body paper jumpsuit. I hate that they made him stay behind until I was ready, but I knew he would be in the OR with me before I knew it.
On the way to the holding area, the transport guy was making small talk about his kids... I just wanted him to shut up. He was making me even more nervous than I already was. All the nurses were really chatty too, since I was the only person in the holding area.
-Is this your first baby?
-Oh, how old is your daughter?
-Oh I bet she's excited!
All I could think of was 'ok I'm ready now, let's go and have this baby'.
At 4:30, Doc came in asking why I was still in the holding area, and not in the OR getting prepped. I shrugged and told him that nurses were in and out asking me the same questions, but none of them were going to get Eric. I kept asking for him. He said "I wish you wouldn't have eaten breakfast, I'd be home by now" trying to make me laugh... it didn't work. I wanted Eric.
Once I was in the OR, the nurses and docs all introduced themselves and the scary part started. The anesthesiologist did my epidural without any problem, not that I'm saying it felt good, but when I had Carmen, it took 4 tries. This time, it took one try and I started to tingle. I HATE the feeling when I can feel my legs but I can't move them. They waited until I was numb to put my catheter in this time, too. Both of my worst memories were over and went much smoother this time. However, Eric still wasn't there. I think I asked them to go get him 10 times.
Right about now, the curtain went up, and the hubby came in. I dont think I've ever been so happy to see my husband as I was at that moment. The nurse kept asking if I wanted "help taking a nap" but I said no. I wanted to be alert, because I knew that meant MORPHINE and I blamed the morphine on my horrible recovery with Carmen. During the surgery, I felt a lot more this time around as far as pulling and tugging goes. I think it was because I didn't have the morphine. I just squeezed Eric's hand and kept telling myself that our son was about to come into the world... and meanwhile the Docs sang the Batman theme song. Why, I'm not so sure, but it was surely entertaining! Then before I knew it was happening, I heard the most amazing sound that any mother can hear: the first cry of my second born child.
Daniel Thomas Braniff was born on October 6, 2010 at 5:26pm. He was 21 inches long and weighed 8 pounds and 12 ounces. He was the most gorgeous newborn baby boy I'd ever seen. I was instantly in love and in serious tears. Doc untied my left hand so I could touch my baby, and I could barey see him I was crying so hard. When I looked at my husband, I was so full of emotion and kept saying "that's our son!" over and over.
While I was in recovery for 2 hours, I kept begging them to take me to my room every 5 minutes... I wanted to see my new baby and I knew Carmen was very worried about me. She was terrified when she heard I had to have surgery, no matter how many times I told her that I had the same surgery to have her. So I was anxious to get upstairs to her so she could see that mommy was all better! She had a hard time understanding that she couldn't jump on my lap and be all over me, but once she got it, she was very happy to see me.
My stay in the hospital was fairly uneventful, and we were able to go home in 48 hours. It was so nice to be home, but I missed the bedrails in the hospital bed. (Anyone who's had a c-section understands this, I'm sure.) Getting out of bed was almost impossible without help for about a week. We had family visiting for 2 weekends straight after we came home, so I was really tired but it was nice to see my sister and brother and his family. We also got several meals out and we didn't have to cook.
Becoming a family of 4 has been an adventure. Eric was off work for almost 2 weeks to help out at home, and Carmen had the Monday after he was born off school for all of us to spend together. Sadly, Eric had to go back to work this past Tuesday, but has mostly had to close so he's been able to take Carmen to school in the mornings for the most part. Carmen is such a good big sister and so far hasn't shown a hit of jealousy. She is so good with her little brother, but sometimes is a little overbearing with him. Daniel will be 3 weeks old on Wednesday, and sure I am lacking sleep in the worst way and getting sick from it, but it's worth it.
I have 2 amazing kids and 1 fantastic husband. I couldn't be luckier!!

No comments:
Post a Comment